First Vaping Related Death Reported In Missouri
The first confirmed vaping related death in Missouri is being reported by the Department of Health and Senior Services.
In a news release yesterday (Thursday) the department says a Missouri man in his mid-40s died this week at Mercy Hospital St. Louis due to an illness associated with the use of e-cigarettes.
The health department says it is the 8th reported death due to vaping nationwide.
According to Mercy Hospitals critical care pulmonologist the man had no prior lung illness and started vaping due to chronic pain issues, started out with shortness of breath and then rapidly progressed and deteriorated and developed acute respiratory distress syndrome.
So far there have been 22 reports from throughout Missouri of vaping-related illnesses.