Jefferson City Apartment Fire Due To Unattended Cooking

The cause of an apartment fire in Jefferson City yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon is due to unattended cooking.

The Jefferson City Fire Department went to the fire in the 800 block of Washington Street around 2:38 yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon.

There were a total of 7 tenants in the apartment building, with 3 apartments occupied at the time of the fire.

A dog and one large bird were removed without injury and no other injuries were reported.

The estimated damage is $35,000 and the American Red Cross is helping with temporary needs of those affected.