Jefferson City Fire Department Provides Winter Safety Tips
The Jefferson City Fire Department wants to remind everyone of the following safety tips:
- Install and periodically test smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Plug space heaters directly into outlets, do not use extension cords, and make sure they are UL Listed and placed away from any combustibles.
- To prevent carbon monoxide exposure, do not let vehicles idle in a garage.
- If you use a portable generator, place the unit outdoors in a well-ventilated area away from all doors, windows, or vents. Make sure to check the power load of any electrical appliances powered by the generator to avoid an overload and ensure safety.
- When possible, dress properly to avoid hypothermia or frostbite.
- Ice on ponds must be at least 5-7 inches think to be considered safe. Do not take over-sized equipment like ATV’s or vehicles on iced-over ponds or streams. Don’t attempt a rescue on broken ice, call 911.
- When traveling, remember to have a full tank of fuel ad a safety pack that includes a flashlight, snacks, blanket, and a first aid kit.
- If possible, avoid driving until road conditions have improved. If you must travel make sure to leave early, turn your headlights on, don’t break while turning, and don’t tailgate other vehicles.
- Do not leave animals outside during extreme weather.
- Make sure that fire hydrants and address numbers are clearly visible for emergency personnel. Seconds count!