Montgomery County Native Competing for Miss Missouri Crown
(Story Contribution To Leslie A. Meyer Photography)
Miss Missouri candidates from across the state, their pageant directors and families will travel to the heart of Missouri June 11 to kick off a week filled with rehearsals, talent performances, interviews, and evening gowns at Missouri Military Academy.
Representing the upper western portion of the state is Miss Northwest Counties Emily Laskowski. She is the daughter of Heather and Richard Corder of Jonesburg and is pursuing a Master of Arts degree in counseling from Truman State University in Kirksville.
As a member of the Sigma competition group, Emily will have her personal interview with the judges on Wednesday afternoon, followed by the health and fitness preliminary Wednesday evening or night one of preliminary competition. During the first night of preliminaries, Emily will also perform her talent, a clarinet solo. On Thursday, she will have her on-stage conversation with the judges and the evening gown competition.
Emily’s social impact initiative is “Grow from the Ground Up.” This program educates children about the resources their communities have for them as they grow up in poverty. These resources include food pantries, scholarships for college, and clothing or hygiene items.
“It also empowers children that they can do anything they put their minds to in order to succeed,” she explained.
Pageant week will begin Sunday, June 12 when the Miss Missouri candidates move onto the Missouri Military Academy’s campus. Throughout the week, the Miss Missouri candidates will participate in a wide variety of activities, ending on Saturday afternoon with a meet and greet for area residents on the courthouse lawn, located in downtown Mexico.
The preliminary competition begins Tuesday, June 14 and will continue through Friday, June 17. The organization will crown the new Miss Missouri Saturday night, June 18, as it says goodbye to reigning Miss Missouri Callie Cox. After being crowned, the new Miss Missouri will begin a hectic schedule of preparations for the Miss America stage and competition, to be held later this year.
The Miss Missouri Scholarship Organization is one of the largest providers of scholarships to young women in the state. This year, the organization will award more than $85,000 in scholarships between the Miss Missouri and Outstanding Teen programs.
Tickets for the Miss Missouri and Miss Missouri’s Outstanding Teen Pageants are available through the Mexico Area Chamber of Commerce, located at 100 West Jackson Street or by calling 573-581-2765.
Most Recent News
- Mexico Teen Accused of DWI After Leading Callaway County Deputies On High-Speed ChaseMexico Teen Accused of DWI After Leading Callaway County Deputies…Continue Reading
- Community R-VI Lady Trojans Softball Clinch Conference Championship With Win at CairoCommunity R-VI Lady Trojans Softball Clinch Conference Championship With Win…Continue Reading
- Mexico Lady Bulldogs Softball Wins Thriller Over KirksvilleMexico Lady Bulldogs Softball Wins Thriller Over Kirksville The Mexico…Continue Reading
- Prosecutors File Amended Charges Against Man Accused of Murdering Monroe County WomanProsecutors File Amended Charges Against Man Accused of Murdering Monroe…Continue Reading
- Woman Speeding Past Fully Marked Callaway County Sheriff’s Office K9 Unit Arrested for Over 1.5 Pounds of MethamphetamineWoman Speeding Past Fully Marked Callaway County Sheriff’s Office K9…Continue Reading
- Callaway County Sheriff’s Office Arrests Two Men After Separate Weapons Offenses in AuxvasseCallaway County Sheriff’s Office Arrests Two Men After Separate Weapons…Continue Reading
- Mexico/Fulton Hospitals Bankruptcy Hearing UpdateMexico/Fulton Hospitals Bankruptcy Hearing Update Ziva Medical will have to…Continue Reading
- KWWR Sports Report 9/20/23KWWR Sports Report 9/20/23 In hockey news the St. Louis…Continue Reading